Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Awards for All

We had the Scholarship Awards Night last night at our school. The whole thing was miserably long and terribly boring for the majority of us. I basically sat there and listened to the same four names get repeated over and over and over again. It was slightly annoying. Especially the ones who would say things like, "I've been waiting to get this scholarship to so-so for years now," or, "This award is for a senior who blah blah blah and it helps that they're a great babysitter." The whole thing made me sick to my stomach. It was amazing I even got one scholarship considering that my parents aren't active members of the community, and I haven't lived here my whole life like everyone else has. Also I don't play any sports, but apparently if you play baseball and football people want to give you tons of money, and if you're going to school in the same state as my high school which I'm not. It didn't even help that I'm part of the arts because of course this one guy in my class received all of those because he's going to the Boston Conservatory and everyone in my town is convinced he's going to be on Broadway someday. He's also very good at ass kissing which is not something I've ever been able to do because I have some dignity.
I did get a scholarship that I wasn't even sure if I applied for. I was zoning off when the guy was talking about the scholarship because I was positive I didn't get it, and all of sudden I hear him say my name, and it took me a second to realize that it was me he was talking about. I was finally able to join the other students up on stage even though over half of them were already up there. My heart was pounding so hard that I barely said thank you above a whisper. The other scholarship I received I thought I would get because I did know the person that gives it out every year. It's the scholarship my middle school band teacher gives, and since I still see him quite regularly and have kept on good terms with him I thought I had a really good chance at getting it. I was so happy when they announced my name for that one because it actually meant something to me to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment