Thursday, February 19, 2015

Alternate Universes

I was on my home today from my violin lessons at the music store when I saw an ex boyfriend of my mom's. I was driving downtown, stopped at a red light when I saw him. I felt like blowing the red light and hitting him with my car. He is one of those human beings that I truly believe is a waste of space on this planet. I guess you could say I haven't quite forgiven him for everything he did. In a way. I supposed I don't think he's worth the energy to put much effort into forgiving or loathing him so most of the time I ignore his very existence. Besides, I rarely see the man as it. Today was the first time I have seen him since my 8th grade promotion which was almost four years ago.
I sometimes wonder what my life would've been like if he'd never dated my mom. Would she be less crazy? I think she would. I think he exhausted what little remained of her sane moments. She didn't drink much before him. I remember the summer after they broke up she was making margaritas at home, and most mornings she had started drinking before I even woke up. Maybe things would have been different for my mom and I. Maybe we would be on better terms, but it's hard to tell. I wonder if in an alternate universe my mom is less crazy, and we are the almost perfect mother-daughter duo everyone once thought we were. I do think there are alternate universes, but what I'm most curious about is what I'm like in these alternate universes. Above all, what I want to know is what my family is like. I think if given the right chance we would all be closer as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment