Monday, January 19, 2015

Cats are Evil

My recent assignment in my English is to write a cause and effect paper that is due tomorrow. It needs to be between 3,000 and 5,000 words so far I have 958. My topic is Toxoplasma Gondii, a parasite found in cats. Since, I am currently stuck for what else to write in my paper I will give a brief summary of exactly this parasite does. Toxoplasma is spread through cat feces, and it will take control of mammals' brains even humans. Rats are affected in a weird way. The parasite increases the dopamine levels in the reward part of the brain when a rat smells cat urine. Normally, a rat would be afraid of cat urine, but when infected the rat will be aroused at the scent of cat urine. This is because the parasite can only reproduce sexually inside the cat's stomach. The rat's arousal at cat urine makes it easier for cats to catch their prey, rats. Humans have a change in personality. Men are suspicious and jealous and gain a disregard of rules. Women become the exact opposite, they become more friendly, trusting, and increase their regard of rules. Both genders have a decrease in seeking new experiences and will stay home more often than those who are not infected. That's just a little bit about the parasite there's a much more in depth explanation here: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/
I found it completely fascinating how Toxoplasma is so specific in how it controls an animal's brain. I should probably get back to my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment